The Archaeological Site
Tenth Roman Legion Furnaces
1900 years ago, a craftsman’s house was built here for clay vessels and home accessories. It was set up and run by the 10th Legion of the Roman army and its remains were unearthed during the excavation of the foundations of the ICC. They include water pools and surfaces for working the silt, an area where the craftsmen shaped the vessels and other products, and a set of kilns for high-temperature firing.
All the items displayed alongside the kilns are exact copies of the original items uncovered during the excavations. The original artefacts can be seen in the display windows in the entrance lobby to the Teddy Hall.